This recipe makes an even-textured quick bread, and will produce one large loaf or 8 to 10 mini loaves. See baking times below, and adjust the baking time when using larger or smaller sized baking pans.
Buttermilk Banana Bread with Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup ripe bananas, smashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the loaf pans.
- Mix together the buttermilk and baking soda. Reserve. The mixture will rise so a container larger than 1/2 cup capacity will be necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream the shortening, sugar and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the bananas and mix until well incorporated. Add in the eggs, scraping well after each addition.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Add in the buttermilk and scrape the bottom well, and then the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the sunflower seeds.
- Spoon the banana bread batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake about 25 minutes for the mini loaves or about 55 minutes for a large loaf. The tops should be browned and the centers will test done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cooled.