Image from a 1950s advertising cook booklet.
Recipe adapted from "Fun-Filled Butter Cooke Cookbook", a 1950s booklet with recipes from Ann Pillsbury's Recipe Exchange.Yield: 2 to 3 dozen, depending on star size.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 each large egg
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 1/4 cups pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/16 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts, and salt until combined. Add the egg and scrape the bottom. Stir in the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Roll out the sugar dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out using a five-point star cutter. Spoon about a teaspoonful of the nut filling in the center and bring up each of the star points so that they stand up, and the filling shows.
- Transfer each to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- For the Nut Filling: Mix all the ingredients together until combined.